Choosing the Right Mattress Topper.
A mattress topper is an additional layer added on to your mattress to provide greater comfort. Mattress toppers are made from memory foam, gel, feathers, latex, or other type of fillings. Apart from offering comfort, the mattress topper helps in improving the longevity of your mattress. It provides added support, is easy to maintain, and can be removed whenever you want. If you are looking for a mattress topper, then are a few things to keep in mind before buying it. You can go through the tips given below to choose the best mattress topper.
1) Decide on the material
The first thing to do is to choose the material used to make the mattress topper. You can take a look at the options available and decide the one that meets your needs.
- Memory foam: The highlight of memory foam is it adjusts itself as per your body’s contour. This makes it extremely comfortable. It also offers good support for your body. If you turn and toss a lot at night, this mattress is ideal. It can tend to get a bit warm. Also, it is made of polyurethane and can emit a slight scent.
- Latex: Just like memory foam, it provides support and comfort. The benefit is that it does not heat up. It is a good option to consider. If you are allergic to latex, then you need to avoid this material.
- Poly-fiber: The fiber inside the mattress provides support. This is not recommended as it does not provide adequate comfort and support. It is also not durable.
- Feathers: A mattress topper made from feathers would be extremely soft. If comfort is your key requirement, you can choose this option. However, it is not firm and does not offer support. Some people are allergic to feathers and maintenance can be an issue.
2) Check the dimensions
Before you buy the mattress topper, get the measurements right. The topper usually range from 2 to 4 inches in thicknesses. If softness and comfort is your requirement, go with the 2-inch option. If you need support for your back, then choose the 4-inch option.
The most important thing to check is the size. Since this is a topper, it sits over your mattress. You need to ensure that it fits perfectly over the mattress. You need to match the size of the mattress with the topper. Measure the mattress before you buy the topper. This is important to ensure a perfect fit.
3) Other needs
The following helps you choose a mattress based on your other needs:
- If you have a partner who moves around making lot of noise, then choose memory foam or latex. It helps in reducing noise allowing you to sleep peacefully.
- Check out if the topper is easy to remove and clean.
- The topper must come with a warranty of minimum 2 years or up to 5 years.
- If you have problems like back pain, then you need to choose a mattress that is sufficiently thick and offers the best support. Latex and memory foam are ideal options.